Founded on May 22, 1899.
On May 22, 1899, a small group of Chicagoans received the union charter for Glaziers Local Union #27 from the Brotherhood of Painters and Decorators of America. In June, the first Glaziers Local #27 union meeting was called to order, located at 187 West Washington Street. There F.C. Harris led the historic meeting and presented the union's first “State of the Trade Report”. The total number of “Workmen” was 79, and the wage was set at 35 cents per hour or $14 per week.
The first union hall on Washington Street was destroyed by a fire in 1927 and was relocated to 735 South Marshfield. Three additional moves were made from the Capitol Building in Chicago, including 32 West Randolph Street, 9223 West Ogden Street, Lyons, and now its current location at 4225 Lawndale Avenue, Lyons, Illinois, which includes a state of the art Apprenticeship Training and Journeyman upgrade facility.
Local 27 has built itself into a strong and well respected union within the labor community. Our members are now listed at 650 and have prospered over the years by adapting to new technologies and advancing their skills through the union's training programs. We consistently strive each and everyday to provide our members with a positive working environment that instills professionalism and a safety conscious attitude that will continue for many generations to come.
Effective January 1, 2019, quarterly union dues are $153.00. Send to office at 4225 S. Lawndale Ave., Lyons, IL 60534 on the 1st of each quarter.
4th Monday of the month